Our Yoga Therapy Program is designed to certify you to work with individuals within the yoga therapy model. Upon completion you will have the information and skills to work one-on-one with people for a wide range of conditions. The course will teach you anatomy, philosophy, theory, and how to apply this information and tools in a therapeutic setting. The course is structured to be completed in about one year. The unique blended online, in-studio and retreat format allows for schedule flexibility so that people with a variety of life situations can participate.
This program and curriculum is based on years of knowledge and experience as a practicing Yoga Therapist. You will be taught through a Koshic “lens” or framework. The Koshas are how yoga views the human experience. By the end and completion of this program, you will be able to assess any client and teach them techniques for self healing. You will have a clear grasp of how human anatomy works and be able to apply it in a real world setting. This course is designed for actual application and the teachings come from actual cases. The goal of the Yoga Therapy Program is to train people to be clear on how to work with any condition from lower back pain to arthritis, depression to spiritual connection, in a focused way that has full integrity.
The main part of this course will be delivered in 52 online lectures (see course outline). You’ll have three different ways to complete the course work:
1) One Sunday per month from October 2018 – October 2019, the Yoga Therapy Training group will meet at Wonder Yoga to watch a lecture, discuss them as a group, and begin working on that lecture’s homework. These meetings will be facilitated by Wonder Yoga co-owner Nicole Siegel. Sunday sessions are 1:00-4:00pm the following Sundays: October 14th, November 17th, December 16th, January 27th, February 24th, March 24th, April 28th, June 2nd, June 30th, July 28th, August 25th, September 29th.
2) Form a monthly weekend study group with other students in the training and meet anywhere on your own time.
3) Take these classes at home. They will also be available for you online 24/7, allowing you to take them anytime or if you miss any of our sessions.
This unique online/in-studio hybrid model will give you the support you need to complete the course and truly understand the material.
• The history of yoga therapy
• Yoga anatomy
• The Koshas
• The role of the Yoga Therapist
• Pathology from a yoga perspective
• The role of ayurvedic ideas
• What you need to know – anatomy
• How pain works
• What clears pain
• Basic yoga poses with anatomy and connections and how/when to use alignment
• Stages of rehab and healing with many techniques including muscle and nerve pain
• Breath anatomy and how to use it
• Ayurvedic concepts
• Food theory and how to apply it
• Case studies
• Pranayamas and their application
• How to balance the doshas
• Understanding prana flow
• How to work with: emotional imbalances (i.e. depression, anxiety)
• How to work with: system wide imbalance (i.e. autoimmune disease, chronic pain)
• Case studies
• The role of the conscious mind/intellect
• Yoga and philosophy teachings
• The uses of chanting
• Using the chakra model
• Using the the mind for emotional release
• More yoga philosophy
• Practices for the intellect/personality
• How to talk to clients in a real way about point of view
• Yoga Philosophy
• Practices for opening the spiritual heart
• How to talk to people about intuition and heart
• Bhakti yoga for healing
• Case studies
• Assembling a plan
• Advanced anatomy
• More food theory
• When to refer out
• Scope of practice
• Integrating with other practitioners and modalities
• Ayurveda and Chinese medicine crossovers
Weekly Q&As with Brandt Passalacqua – creator of Breathing Deeply
There is also a community Facebook forum for all trainees to ask questions that arise at anytime. You will also receive a weekly, live, online, group Q&A with Brandt to delve deeper into material and questions. These weekly times change according to the group’s needs.
There are 3 weekend retreats as part of the course certification. These retreats will be held just above New York City in Garrison, New York at the beautiful Garrison Institute and are offered 3 times per year. To complete the course you must attend each of the weekend retreats. Each retreat will cover yoga teachings, Sadhna, and muscle testing/structural analysis.
(Note: The weekends are billed separately the fee will vary depending on the accommodations you choose. Generally the cost should be between $500-$650 per weekend including 2 nights and all meals.)
Below are the weekend retreat dates for 2019:
March 22-24, 2019
May 31-June 2, 2019
September 6-8, 2019
To read about the topics for each weekend visit:
Breathing Deeply Retreats & Modules
Completion and Certification
You may begin and complete this course at any time. There are 4 requirements to certification:
1) Completion of all 52 online lectures and coursework
2) Attendance of 3 weekend retreats
3) Completion of 2 papers outlining case studies
4) Oral and written exam ($250 test fee)
This course is open to all yoga teachers at a 200 hour level or equivalent from any tradition. Others will be considered case by case.
*** How to Apply: Please Follow This Link To Apply ***
Program tuition and retreat payments are made directly to Breathing Deeply.
Option 1: Pay in Full ($2,495)
Option 2: 11 Month Plan: $500 first payment; $225/month for 10 months after ($2,750)
Option 3: 21 Month Plan: $500 first payment; $125/month for 20 months after ($3,000)
Tuition includes the online portion of the course, live Q&A’s, and access to BDYT community indefinitely.
All tuition plans are non-refundable. Accepting an extended payment plan is a contract to pay the full amount due.
Retreats are billed separately. For retreat rates visit: Rates & Registration Form
Wonder Yoga Campus Fee is $450 – paid directly to Wonder Yoga – please use the “Register Now” button to the right.